Venezuelan Government Sends Army to Combat “Grave” Opposition Disorder near Colombian Border

Tachira State in red

Tachira State in red

Mérida, 22nd February 2014 (Venezuelanalysis.com) – The Venezuelan government is to send two army battalions to, which borders Colombia, to combat a “grave” case of opposition-promoted disorder in the area.

According to press reports and an eyewitness testimony provided to Venezuelanalysis.com, the capital city of Táchira state, San Cristóbal, has been almost brought to a standstill in recent days by street barricades set up by hard-line opposition activists.

According to such reports, in recent days almost no transport has been able to circulate, while the great majority of shops and businesses have been closed. Authorities warn that the street blockades are impeding the delivery of food and gasoline, and claim that transport workers have been threatened.

The government also suspects that “paramilitaries and criminal gangs” are involved in the actions, with the complicity of the local opposition mayor, Daniel Ceballos.

Jack Johnston, a science teacher from England, experienced the situation in Sán Cristobal first hand, spending nine days there. He told VA.com that the terminal had been closed and he was lucky to find a bus out on Thursday.

“From Monday morning there were no taxis operating, no public transport, and the city’s bus terminal was closed…on Monday one of the main squares in the city was completely deserted by nightfall, and the only thing open was a Wendy’s restaurant,” he said.

Johnston commented that the people on the street barricades in central San Cristobal appeared to be students. “They complained about insecurity, but their main demand was for the fall of the government,” he said.

When asked about the response he had observed from the authorities to the situation, he replied, “Inexplicably non-existent. It’s far from a repressive crackdown, the exact opposite. They’ve allowed a small number of students to occupy a main crossroads and dozens of blocs without any opposition…I explained to them [opposition activists] that there’s no way this would be allowed to continue for more than one day in my country”.

On Wednesday, Venezuelan foreign minister Elias Jaua mentioned events in Tachira to ambassadors of the Community of Latin American and Caribbean States (CELAC). He described the situation there as “extremely delicate” and explained, “We’ve acted with the restraint and calm that allows us to understand what’s being played out in Venezuela”.

The foreign minister also referred to opposition protests and street barricades that have affected the country in recent weeks. The government claims a strategy is being employed by the right-wing opposition to destabilise the country and create the conditions for a state coup or foreign intervention.

“[This is] a repeated and well known scheme with disastrous consequences, where a situation of violence is generated so that the state is obliged to act in safeguard of the country’s lives and assets, to then become an object of criminalisation, demonisation, sanctions, blockades, and military intervention,” Jaua argued.

The opposition’s leadership says violent street actions are carried out by “infiltrators”, and that the government and its supporters are responsible for recent violence, claiming they have repressed peaceful student demonstrations.

Army units

On Thursday the minister of interior affairs, Miguel Rodriguez Torres, announced that two army battalions would enter Táchira state to help re-establish order there.

The first unit, a parachute battalion, will be placed on the main highways into the city, but will not enter the city itself. “It’s to reinforce the [existing] units…because we’ve detected Colombians that come to undertake missions as armed paramilitaries in the street riots,” the minister said to press.

Meanwhile the National Bolivarian Guard (GNB) will be used to re-establish order in the city, and thereafter in neighbouring municipalities. The second battalion, of army engineers, will then enter the city to clean it of the burned rubbish, tires, and other damages left by the street barricades. Carrying arms in the state is temporarily banned.

Rodriguez Torres accused San Cristobal’s mayor, Daniel Ceballos, of conspiring in the unrest. The minister said there was evidence that Ceballos had paid for paramilitaries and criminal gangs to get involved in the disorder. President Maduro said on Thursday that police forces must investigate the case, “and if he [Ceballos] should be jailed, he will be jailed”.

Opposition leader Henrique Capriles criticised the measures to restore order in San Cristobal, arguing that they will not solve the city’s problems. “They don’t want tanks in Táchira, Nicolas, in Tachira they want food, and for the problem with the border [ie contraband activity] to be solved,” he said yesterday. Continue reading

NATO Invasion Of Syria: Coming Soon, Rated X

Afghanistan Children, love from NATO

Voice of Russia
October 9, 2012

NATO invasion of Syria: coming soon, rated X
John Robles

The stage is set, NATO forces are in position and authorization has been given; now all it will take is a little spark to ignite the powder keg that is the Middle East. The West needs a middle-man, a reason to invade Syria, and Turkey is that tool. Statements by both NATO Secretary General Anders Fogh Rasmussen and the Turkish parliament serve as proof.

Remember about a month ago when US President Barack Obama phoned Turkish Prime Minister Recep Erdogan and they spoke about Syria and Obama was photographed sitting behind his desk holding a baseball bat? Well it was a sign, and from sign to action takes time. After all, we are talking about invading a sovereign nation to eradicate its leader. Well the time is coming, all the signs are there.

One of them is the recent authorization by the Turkish parliament granting Erdogan the power to send Turkish troops into “foreign” countries, meaning Syria. Another is the now open bombing by Turkey of its Syrian neighbor and yet another are statements and preparations by NATO and the West.

Rick Rozoff at Stop NATO cites one such statement by NATO Secretary General Anders Fogh Rasmussen, who stated: “I can assure you we have all necessary plans in place to defend and protect Turkey, our ally.” This came after an unprecedented late-night meeting after Turkey began its cross-border bombing of Syria, after which NATO stated: “In view of the Syrian regime’s recent aggressive acts at NATO’s southeastern border, which are a flagrant breach of international law and a clear and present danger to the security of one of its Allies, the North Atlantic Council met today, within the framework of Article 4 of the Washington Treaty…” Continue reading

Battle For Syria: View from the Frontline! (English subtitles)

War has been raging in Syria for a year and a half. An endless series of special operations, victories and retreats, a struggle between government forces and an armed opposition that takes place both with weapons on the ground and on the TV screen.
Even seemingly unimportant local battles are being discussed far abroad because the result of this war will impact not only the future of Syria. The situation here is splitting the world in half. This undoubtedly is another internal conflict with global consequences.

Our film crew has spent 2 months on the frontline with the soldiers of Syrian army and civilians trying to answer these hard questions:
Who is the Syrian army fighting?
What is the armed opposition fighting for?
And why are there so many interested parties in this conflict?

This film was made in field conditions to better tell the story of what’s happening here.

Thanks to Anti-Propaganda for sharing this link with us

 

Italian Peace Movement Criticizes Report of International Commission on Syria

Marinella Correggia of the Italian “No-War Network – Roma“, criticizes the recent report by the Independent International Commission of Inquiry (CoI), mandated by the UN Human Rights Council for lacking evidence and for being one-sided.

Corregia and the No-War Network – Roma (NWNR) are warning against using the flawed and strongly biased report as a basis for decisions at the meeting of the UN Human Rights Council in Geneva on 17 September. According to Corregia, the report offers many conclusions but does not contain much evidence to justify them.

Corregia and the No-War network are calling for a negotiated solution to the conflict in Syria, beginning with a cease fire. The Syrian people, she states, should have the possibility of expressing themselves on their future, in conditions of peace and without foreign interference.

The NWNR points out that such a plan has previously been agreed upon, but that the implementation has been deliberately thwarted by a number of foreign powers who are determined to exacerbate the conflict by supplying even greater amounts of arms and money to those opposition forces who are striving to gain control of the country through violence. Continue reading

Authorities Eliminate Tens of Terrorists in Aleppo, Daraa, Hama and Homs

ALEPPO, DARAA (Source: SANA) - In al-Arcoub neighborhood in Aleppo, an army unit confronted a group of armed terrorists who tried to attack law-enforcement forces and government establishments.

The army unit eliminated tens of terrorists and inured a large number of them.

In al-Sakhour neighborhood in Aleppo, a number of armed groups’ leaders were killed as they were hiding near Syriatel customer service center during a qualitative operation carried out by the armed forces.

The Syrian Army Continues Pursuit  of Terrorists in a number of Damascus neighborhoods

The Syrian heroic Army continued pursuit of armed terrorist groups in a number of neighborhoods in Damascus and its countryside.  

A source told SANA that while the units of the Army were storming dens of the terrorists in al-Tadamun, Zamalka, Yalda, Babila, Ein Tarma, they seized big quantities of weapons including RPGs, Israeli-made snipers, Dushka machineguns and mortars. Continue reading

Source: Al-Qaeda-Trained Terrorists Sent to Syria from Waziristan

TEHRAN (FNA)- Al-Qaeda, backed by Turkey, the US and its regional Arab allies, has set up a new camp in Northern Waziristan in Pakistan to train Salafi and Jihadi terrorists and dispatches them to Syria via Turkish borders, sources said.

“A new Al-Qaeda has been created in the region through the financial and logistical backup of Turkey, Saudi Arabia, Qatar and a number of western states, specially the US,” the source told FNA.

Ali Mahdian told FNA that the US and the British governments have been playing with the al-Qaeda through their Arab proxy regimes in the region in a bid to materialize their goals, specially in Syria.

He said the Saudi and Qatari regimes serve as interlocutors to facilitate the CIA and MI6 plans in Syria through instigating terrorist operations by Salafi and Arab Jihadi groups, adding that the terrorists do not know that they actually exercise the US plans.  Continue reading

Le Quartier Général terroriste d’Erdogan

par Bahar Kimyongür

Des années durant, les autorités turques ont exercé des pressions diplomatiques sur les pays qui accueillaient les bureaux d’information de mouvements turcs ou kurdes d’opposition. Ces pressions ont conduit à la fermeture de nombreux bureaux et à l’emprisonnement de leurs administrateurs.

Les sympathisants du mouvement de la gauche anti-impérialiste turque DHKP-C de Londres, Bruxelles, Paris ou Berlin en savent quelque chose.

Aujourd’hui, une organisation militaire syrienne, nommément l’Armée syrienne libre (ASL) qui utilise ouvertement le terrorisme pour parvenir à ses fins est accueillie à bras ouverts par le régime d’Ankara.

Elle y dispose d’un bureau d’information en bonne et due forme.

Son site officiel est : http://www.free-syrian-army.com

On y découvre que sa base principale est le Hatay, une province frontalière majoritairement arabophone qui accueille les réfugiés syriens. Continue reading

Syrian envoy to UN censures Saudi Arabia, Qatar

Syrian Ambassador to the UN Bashar Ja’afari

The Syrian ambassador to the United Nations says Saudi Arabia and Qatar are responsible for the deteriorating humanitarian situation of the Syrian people.

Bashar Ja’afari said in an emergency meeting of the UN Security Council on the humanitarian situation in Syria on Thursday that Riyadh and Doha should answer to the world for the turmoil in Syria.

He also stated that Saudi Arabia and Qatar are providing arms to terrorists inside Syria.

Ja’afari added that Syria “feels a great bitterness and sorrow when we see some of our brothers living in tents on the border in dreadful conditions.”  Continue reading