Israel smuggling weapons to Syria through Iraqi Kurdistan, sources say

Iraqi Kurdistan Regional Government President Massoud Barzani (file photo)

Israeli airplanes are smuggling weapons into Syria through Iraq’s Kurdistan region, Syrian sources toldPress TV.

According to the sources, Israel sends weapons to Iraqi Kurdistan, which are then smuggled into Syria with financial assistance from Qatar.

Iraqi Kurdistan Regional Government President Massoud Barzani has facilitated the operations of illegal Israeli firms in the region.

Barzani also refused to hand over fugitive Iraqi Vice President Tariq al-Hashemi, who is accused of involvement in terrorist attacks, to the Iraqi government and helped him flee from the country.

Hashemi, who is accused of running a terror squad in Iraq, flew to Turkey on April 10 after visiting Qatar and Saudi Arabia on the third leg of what he called an “official visit” to regional countries. He still resides in Turkey.

Meanwhile, the Syrian sources said that Washington has trained 400 al-Qaeda militants in European countries. They are then reportedly transferred to Syria to carry out acts of violence.

The unrest in Syria began in March 2011, with demonstrations being held both against and in support of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad’s government.

The West and the Syrian opposition accuse the government of killing protesters, but Damascus blames “outlaws, saboteurs, and armed terrorist groups” for the unrest, insisting that it is being orchestrated from abroad.

Source: Press TV

Russian FM condemns Syria blasts, accuses certain powers for violence

Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov has condemned the recent twin bombings in Syria, accusing certain foreign powers of encouraging the ongoing violence,Press TV reports


“Unfortunately governments who support the opposition groups are not allowing for an understanding to be reached. They even encourage the opposition groups to not accept an agreement, and instead they force for the continuation of destructive activities,” Lavrov said during a visit to China.

He also said that his country would not change its stance towards a resolution to the violence in Syria despite growing foreign pressure.

The foreign minister’s remarks come a day after the deadliest attacks since the country’s last year’s uprising. On Thursday, twin bomb blasts in the al-Qazzaz district in Damascus claimed the lives of at least 55 people, injuring another 400.  Continue reading