TOULOUSE, France, March 22 (UPI) — The gunman who died Thursday when cornered by French police was on the radar of U.S. authorities as well, sources told The Wall Street Journal.
Mohammed Merah, 24, was on the U.S. no-fly list because he had been in custody in Afghanistan in 2010 before being sent back to France, sources familiar with the case told the newspaper.
The circumstances of Merah’s detention in Afghanistan were not clear, and the Journal said U.S. officials said there was no record of him ever being in the custody of the American military.
Merah was also named as a member of a group called Forsane Alizza, or Knights of Glory, French Interior Minister Claude Gueant said. The French government banned the group in January for trying to recruit people to fight in Afghanistan. Continue reading →
Thirty years ago, Europeans were caught in a seemingly endless story of domestic terror which claimed thousands of lives over a generation – a disturbing epoche which was instrumental in bringing forth the modern domestic police state we have today. We now know that the wave of terror which swept across Europe then was run by a state-sponsored terror program called Operation G.L.A.D.I.O., organised by NATO and funded in part by the CIA.
Enter 2011, and the conditions are similar to that of post WWII Europe and also to the fall of the Iron Curtain in 1990 – where the continent is going through a tremendous social and economic transition period.
As the West presently emerges from its decade-long “war on terror” – a conflict where muslims were the protagonists, they begin to enter into a harsh new social and economic phase featuring austerity and inequality, and a phase where frightening new ‘domestic enemies’ will be introduced onto the stage.
Already this week we have seen a series of high-profile domestic terror events: Continue reading →