Top officials at US President Barack Obama’s administration have sent the confidential message to Iran a few days ago via two European governments, announcing that the US would not support Israel if it decided to carry out a “unilateral and without coordination” attack on Iran, the Israeli daily Yediot Ahronot reported.
The daily added that the US aims to prevent an Iranian attack on the US installations in the Persian Gulf, where it has deployed aircraft carriers and has several military bases.
Israel’s political officials have noted that the US move is an indication of more strained ties between Washington and Tel Aviv.
The United States and Israel have repeatedly threatened Iran with a military option in a bid to force the Islamic Republic to halt its nuclear energy program, which Washington and Tel Aviv claim to include a military component.
Iran rejects the allegations, arguing that as a committed signatory to the nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT) and a member of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), it has the right to use the nuclear technology for peaceful purposes.
Iranian officials have also promised a crushing response to any military strike against the country, warning that any such measure could result in a war that would spread beyond the Middle East.
“Any military measure against Syria is [like] playing with fire,” Mohammad-Reza Raouf Sheibani said in a meeting with UN peace-keeping chief Herve Ladsous on Wednesday.
“The military trend will further complicate and prolong the crisis in Syria and will bear negative and grave consequences for the region, in particular, for the instigators of the crisis,” he added.
He also reiterated Iran’s support of the peace plan by UN and Arab League envoy to Syria Kofi Annan.
The UN official, for his part, highlighted Iran’s stance and influence in the Middle East and praised Tehran’s support of the Annan plan.
Syria has been experiencing unrest since mid-March 2011.
Iran says negotiation between the Syrian government and opposition groups constitutes the best solution to the country’s ongoing crisis.
The Islamic Republic has also reiterated its readiness to facilitate talks between the two sides.
The West and the Syrian opposition accuse the government of killing protesters, but Damascus blames ‘outlaws, saboteurs, and armed terrorist groups’ for the unrest, asserting that it is being orchestrated from abroad.
Source: Press TV
As FSA proxies fail and psychological operations falter, US prepares more direct (and desperate) approach for long-sought regime change.
by Tony Cartalucci ( Land Destroyer Report )
July 22, 2012 – As it becomes increasingly clear that last week’s “surge” by NATO-backed so-called “Free Syrian Army” terrorists was a failed psychological operation, coordinated with meticulously timed assassinations the day of the UN Security Council vote designed to stampede the Syrian government out of power, the FSA’s foreign sponsors are preparing the public for a more direct intervention while desperately attempting to maintain the illusion of chaos and the imminent collapse of Syria’s government.
Video: Thierry Meyssan in Damascus, Syria. Please choose from “choose language” to see English subtitles.
Contradicting NATO’s narrative, was Thierry Meyssan in Damascus, Syria who reported that Syria’s continuity of government seamlessly moved forward after the assassinations last week, and that state institutions are still standing and very much functional. He describes Syria’s latest unrest as the result of a coordinated NATO-backed terrorist operation aimed at creating confusion and panic, coupled with Western propaganda – and warns that more operations are likely on the way. Continue reading
Vladimir Putin has vowed to do what he can to prevent Syria from sliding into civil war, but repeated his stance that it’s important not to take sides in the conflict. The comments came as the Russian President and the German Chancellor met in Berlin, with Putin on his first series of short visits abroad since he returned to the top job last month. RT’s Egor Piskunov is in Berlin.
Troops airlifted out of Iraq to face Assad’s forces
Following similar reports by former FBI translator Sibel Edmonds, Israeli intelligence sources confirm that US Special Forces are massing in Jordan on the Syrian border having been transferred from Iraq.
On Sunday Edmonds reported that hundreds of foreign troops were witnessed near the Jordanian border village of Al-Mafraq, having moved back and forth between King Hussein Air Base of al-Mafraq and villages adjacent to the Syrian border.
After interviewing an employee in the London-based office of Royal Jordanian Airlines, Nizar Nayouf also reported that, “At least one US aircraft carrying military personnel landed in the Prince Hassan Air base located about 100 km to the east of the city of Al-Mafraq.”
According to Edmonds, the mainstream media has been eager to keep the movement of the troops under wraps, with one journalist from a major publication being told by his editor that there would be no coverage of the story.
The Israeli intelligence outletDebkaFile has now backed these reports, stating that, “American special forces troops have been diverted to positions in Jordan opposite a Syrian tank concentration building up across the kingdom’s northern border.”
US troops were airlifted out of the Ain al-Assad air base in Iraq to take up positions in Jordan from Thursday onwards, according to the report.