Hours before fighter jets were set to launch, French President Francois Hollande received call from Obama informing him of delay, French magazine reveals.
French fighter jets were ready to take-off for an attack in Syria on August 31, but were called off only hours away from launch time, a French weekly magazine has revealed on Sunday.
France’s president, Francois Hollande called off the attack after a call with U.S. President Barack Obama, who decided that same day he would seek approval from Congress before carrying out a military response over chemical weapons use in Syria.
According to the report in Nouvel Observateur, Rafale-class aircraft were prepared to launch as officials laid the groundwork for the attack with the French public. “Everything made us think that D-Day had arrived,” a French official is quoted as saying. “This incredible misunderstanding lasted until the end of the afternoon.”
Hollande was expected to approve the attack, planned for 3 A.M. local time, on Syria’s missile batteries and control and command centers of the country’s unit in charge of chemical weapons.
The only thing still standing in the way was the requisite green light from Obama, but the U.S. president changed his mind after consultation with his advisers.
The Chinese channel ZTE aired leaked pictures , picked up via satellite, showing a building with similar characteristics as the Syrian Republican Palace near Doha International Airport in Qatar.
I wonder how they are going to ship in the snow Continue reading
Watch the Video HERE
Source: Russia Today
The US has hinted at taking actions against the Syrian regime bypassing the authority of the UN Security Council. This comes as pressure is piling up on Damascus following massacre in Houla that claimed over 100 lives.
US Ambassador to the UN Susan Rice has said that if the council does not take swift action to pressure Syrian authorities to end 14-month crackdown on the anti-government uprising, the Security Council members may have no choice but to consider acting outside the UN.
“Members of the international community are left with the option only of having to consider whether they are prepared to take actions outside of the Annan plan and the authority of this council,” Rice said on Wednesday after the 15-member council met in a closed door session to discuss last week’s massacre.
The United Nations is conducting its own investigation of who exactly is responsible for the bloodshed in the town of Houla. However the US and its allies seem to have come to their own conclusion, saying that the Assad government is solely responsible for the violence.
Rice did not specify what “actions” she meant. However the US and European Continue reading