France called off attack on Syria at last minute

image

Hours before fighter jets were set to launch, French President Francois Hollande received call from Obama informing him of delay, French magazine reveals.

 

French fighter jets were ready to take-off for an attack in Syria on August 31, but were called off only hours away from launch time, a French weekly magazine has revealed on Sunday.

France’s president, Francois Hollande called off the attack after a call with U.S. President Barack Obama, who decided that same day he would seek approval from Congress before carrying out a military response over chemical weapons use in Syria.

According to the report in Nouvel Observateur, Rafale-class aircraft were prepared to launch as officials laid the groundwork for the attack with the French public. “Everything made us think that D-Day had arrived,” a French official is quoted as saying. “This incredible misunderstanding lasted until the end of the afternoon.”

Hollande was expected to approve the attack, planned for 3 A.M. local time, on Syria’s missile batteries and control and command centers of the country’s unit in charge of chemical weapons.

The only thing still standing in the way was the requisite green light from Obama, but the U.S. president changed his mind after consultation with his advisers.  
Continue reading

Advertisements

israeli war on Iran looming: US author

israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu (L) and Defense Minister Ehud Barak are reportedly lobbying for a massive attack against Iran among Israeli cabinet members. (File photo)

A US-based political writer claims he has access to a plan made by Israel’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Defense Minister Ehud Barak for imminent military strike on Iran.

According to Israeli news website Ynet, Richard Silverstein claimed on August 15 that the war document was leaked to him by a “high-level Israeli source” who obtained it from a military officer and includes missile and aerial strikes, assassination of Iranian officials and a massive cyber attack that will paralyze the country’s electronic networks.

The supposed Israeli strike on Iran, he added, will include crippling Iran’s electricity grid and telecommunications network, firing tens of missiles to Iran from Israeli territory and submarines in the Persian Gulf, and bombarding the houses of top Iranian scientists and military commanders. The strike, Silverstein noted, will also involve cyber attacks to render Iran’s internet and telecom networks as well as radio and television, telecommunication satellites, and fiberoptic network dysfunctional.

Smart carbon-fiber weapons will also attack Iran’s power plants causing short-circuit which will stop their operations, he noted, while more missiles will target Arak nuclear reactor and other nuclear facilities in Isfahan and Fordow.

A number of Iranian officials have been also shortlisted for assassination by Israeli missiles, Silverstein said.

Iranian authorities have frequently downplayed Israeli threats of military action against the Islamic Republic, warning that in case the Zionist regime dares to launch such an attack, it will be reduced to rubble.

A number of senior Iranian military commanders have also emphasized that in case Israel and even the US launch any attack an Iran, the conflict is certain to spill into the entire region.

Following the first wave of attacks, according to the American analyst, “an Israeli radar satellite will pass over Iran and transfer information directly to warplanes making their way covertly toward Iran.”

These Israeli planes will be armed with electronic warfare gear previously unknown to the wider public, not even revealed to Tel Aviv’s close ally, the United States, Silverstein said.

The Israeli report, according to the US analyst, concludes by claiming that among the targets of the aerial attacks “are Shahab 3 and Sejjil ballistic missile silos, storage tanks for chemical components of rocket fuel, industrial facilities for producing missile control systems, centrifuge production plants and more.”

Iranian observers, however, insist that such reports are the continuation of a joint US-Israeli publicity and psywar campaign aimed at inciting fear among the Iranian public.

Source: Press TV