A car bombing rocked Damascus causing ‘multiple’ injuries after rebel fighters reportedly tried to storm a military base near the Syrian capital. The violence came despite an official ceasefire honoring the Islamic holiday of Eid al-Adha.
Activists say dozens have been killed or wounded after a car bomb exploded in a southern district of Damascus. State media also reported “human and material losses,” in the attack.
The bomb reportedly detonated near a children’s playground in Daf al-Shok, a Sunni residential neighborhood. Extensive damage to nearby buildings was reported, and numerous casualties are feared.
State news agency SANA reported that “terrorists” were responsible for the blast.
Earlier in the day, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights claimed that rebels had laid siege to a military base one kilometer from the highway, and that government forces had opened fire in a nearby village.
“Violent clashes started around 10:30 am (9:30 am Paris time) around the Wadi Deif base. The army responded by bombing the neighbouring village of Deir Sharqi. It is the first violation of the ceasefire,” Rami Abdul Rahman, the head of the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, told AFP.
A tenuous truce was called into effect hours earlier on Friday morning following an agreement between the Assad government and the rebels to observe a four-day ceasefire in honor of the Muslim holiday of Eid al-Adha.
UN-Arab League peace envoy Lakhdar Brahimi proposed the truce after visiting Syria earlier this week in the hopes of creating what he called “a political environment where political talks are possible.”
The ceasefire seemed doomed to fail from the start, as both the government and the rebels began setting numerous conditions shortly after the truce was announced.
The Free Syrian Army said that its fighters would not commit to a ceasefire unless detained rebels were released from custody on Friday.
Meanwhile, the Assad government said it reserved the right to retaliate against any violence by opposition forces during the truce. Damascus also said it would respond to any attempts to smuggle weapons across Syria’s borders, and would take measures to prevent ‘terrorists’ from entering the country.
Source: Russia today
TEHRAN (FNA)- Haitham Manna, a Paris-based veteran Syrian opposition figure, slammed Saudi Arabia, Qatar and Turkey for infiltrating terrorists into Syria.
Speaking at London School of Economics, Manna said the Syrian crisis would deteriorate if the status quo continues, adding that the world powers are responsible for the lack of a proper solution to the Syrian crisis.
Major powers have refused to take any measure for the settlement of the Syrian crisis so far and only resorted to theatrical conferences dubbed “Syrian friends”, he said, adding they have presented no democratic reform plan for the crisis-hit country.
The Syrian opposition figure supported the plan offered by the UN and Arab League envoy, Lakhdar Brahimi, for truce in Syria during the Eid Al-Adha holiday (starting on October 26), and expressed the hope that the measure could serve as a prelude to ceasefire in Syria.
Syria has been experiencing unrest since March 2011 with organized attacks by well-armed gangs against Syrian police forces and border guards being reported across the country.
Hundreds of people, including members of the security forces, have been killed, when some protest rallies turned into armed clashes.
The government blames outlaws, saboteurs, and armed terrorist groups for the deaths, stressing that the unrest is being orchestrated from abroad.
Brahimi had proposed in his recent visit to Tehran that a truce be put into effect between the Syrian government forces and the rebel groups fighting the Damascus government during the Eid al-Adha which has been announced a four-day holiday in Syria. Continue reading